francois j duminy
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
CAPE TOWN PLASTIC SURGEON CV
Prominent ears run in families.
They can cause a lot of anguish when assiciated with teasing and bullying. In our experience, these problems only start at the age of 7 years for both the bullies and their subjects.
The problem can usually be corrected by a small operation to each ear.
In many cases, the procedure can be carried out under local anaesthetic and conscious sedation, even in young children.
Benefits Experienced by most of our patients
1. Correction of ear prominence and ear shape
2. Improved self image, or limitation of damage if done early.
3. restoration of a "normal" appearance
1. Swelling and Bruising that usually lasts 10 to 14 days
2. A supportive band needs to be worn continuously for 10 days and for a month at night.
3. Scars behind the ears that are initially visible, but usually heal so well that they are almost invisible.
Very seldom, a patient may develop hypertrophic scarring behind the ear. This is highly exceptional and will
require further treatment
4. Part of the Ear may initially, be numb, but regains feeling in approximately 3 months.
5. Surgical Complications - Infection, Bleeding, Haematoma, Seroma