BREAST LIFT BY LIPOSCULPTURE
What is Breast Lift by Liposculpture?
Breast lift by Liposculpture is done by using liposculpture techniques to effect shrinking of the Skin of the breasts in order to leave the patient with, firmer and more shapely breasts that match the rest of her anatomy in a more balanced way. The tunneling is done by means of thin bullet-nosed tubes called "cannulae."
The tunnels are made in such a way as to leave minimal scarring (2 to 5 tiny stabwounds about 5mm long)
In terms of sculpting the breast, the surgeon may remove small amounts of fat from one part of the breast and place them in a different part of the breast to enhance the shape.
There are no long incisions
1. Firmer breasts.
2. More elevated nipples
3. Improved breast shape.
4. Improved self-image leading to greater confidence
5. Please note that in our practice it is common to do mastopexy under Local Anaesthetic and Conscious Sedation. There are many advantages to this method.
6. Following this type of surgery, it is usually possible for women to breast feed their babies
Many patients experience either increased or decreased sensitivity in the nipple post surgery. In the vast majority of patients this returns to normal within six months
The shape of the breast is not clearly predictable after liposculpture mastopexy.
Post-operatively you will notice that the shape of the breasts is not normal but this will usually settle as gravity pulls the remaining tissue into its correct place provided that a correctly -fitting bra is worn as directed.
If skin retraction is inadequate after the liposculpture, it may be necessary to do a surgical mastopexy / Breast Lift.
We try at all times to avoid complications by taking every precaution available to us and by employing meticulous techniques. Complications, however, will sometimes occur even in the hands of the most careful surgeon.
As with any surgical procedure the wounds may become infected which may prolong your recovery. Treatment might include, dressings and antibiotics.
Pain is sometimes experienced in "patches" over the breasts. Occasionally there are firm areas associated with pain, this may be due to fat necrosis and it settles as the necrotic tissue is reabsorbed.
Sometimes very sharp pains of a very short duration occur. These pains are known as "lightning pains" and their occurrence disappears after a few months.
How to Prepare for Surgery
- Arrange a consultation with the surgeon (Make a consultation booking)
- At Consultation you will find out if you are a suitable candidate for the procedure (not everyone is )
- Obtain a quote for the procedure so that you can plan finances.
- When you are ready, schedule an operation date and pay your booking deposit
- Prepare your body:
- Keep fit
- Stop smoking!
- Being at your ideal body mass is desirable, but not always possible - in our experience, most patients become re-motivated and more mobile after this surgery and weight loss occurs as a natural consequence
- Prepare your breast skin by using a pregnancy cream such as Dermastine regularly to help skin shrinkage.
- Stop taking anticoagulant medications such as Disprin, Aspirin, Ginko Biloba, Evening Primrose oil, Omega 3 Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Arnica and Vitamin E at least 10 days before your procedure. (If these substances have been prescribed by your doctor, then please discuss with your surgeon and the prescribing doctor whether they should be stopped) .
- Do NOT sunburn/sunbathe your breasts pre-operatively, if your upper body shows signs of sunburn, the procedure will be postponed
- Buy an underwired bra of the correct discussed size and another one which is one cup size larger to accommodate early swelling.
- Schedule an appointment with one of our Registered Nurse Practitioner Consultants who will
- Re-discuss the details of the procedure with you.
- Give you an opportunity to ask questions
- Give you a pack containing useful items for the peri-operative period.
- Give you an appropriate prescription for post-operative medication.
- Go through the informed consent document with you
- Pay the remainder of the procedure fee at least one week before the procedure to facilitate ordering of prostheses and special materials, drapes and instruments
- On the day before surgery, you should have an appointment to visit Dr Duminy who will take measurements and mark your breasts. He may also do your pre-operative photographs at that time.
Immediate Pre-Op Checklist
- Arrange to be transported too and from the procedure
- Make a note of accompanying person's contact details to hand to us
- Stay "Nil Per Mouth" for 6 hours before your scheduled procedure time
- Shower head to toe with medicated shampoo to reduce the bacterial load on the skin
- Wear loose clothing
- Pack your Bras
- Give yourself enough time for a relaxed approach.
- Wear your Underwired Bra day and night for one month - This keeps your breasts stable and well positioned during the critical early healing period
- You may be asked to wear an elastic "Care-Fix" strap over your bra to add further stability
- Waterproof dressings will allow you to shower from day 1. Bathing and swimming allowed only after 7 days
- Attend your "dressing change" consultation with the Registered Nurse Practitioner and pay careful attention to the "scar taping" instructions that you will be given (even for the tiny liposuction scars).
- Even though the scars are tiny, you should consider taping your scars correctly for 4 to 6 months ("if we support the scars, they will not need to support themselves" and they will therefore remain as thin flat lines rather than becoming ridges)
- After 1 month, you can stop wearing the bra at night, but you must continue to wear it every day when you are up and about.
- When exercising, wear a Sports Bra such as a "Triumph Shock Absorber " over your underwired bra.Good support of the healing internal "scars" is vital.
- Enjoy your new appearance with confidence.
To get the most pleasing results you must give your body the best opportunity to recover.
Rest well, eat healthy foods and take special care of your breasts. We are always available to help with any problem.